Space Optics Research Labs (SORL) develops and manufactures high precision optical components and systems. SORL has been in the optics industry for over 45 years and remains a leader in its field: high quality aspheric optical systems and instrumentation which are used for a wide range of research and test applications.
OPTICAL METROLOGY MANAGER
The employee will lead a small team of engineers and technicians focused on the Metrology, Quality Assurance, and Field Service needs for the manufacture of precision optical components and assemblies. Close cooperation with the Engineering and Manufacturing departments is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The employee will be responsible for the organization and daily management of the Optical Metrology Department at Space Optics Research Labs. The responsibilities for the position include but are not limited to:
· Develop and design new optical test set-ups for applications spanning single components to complete systems level in a high pace R&D environment. Efforts would begin during the quoting phase and continue for the life of new projects.
· Ongoing review, revision, and improvement of current practices, testing plans, documentation, and equipment for SORL standard products in support of the ongoing activities of SORL’s manufacturing team. The goal of this work is to enhance SORL’s capabilities and competiveness in both conventional and automated polishing.
· Supervise and/or conduct testing, characterization, and documentation of optical components, electro-optical components, and optical systems.
· The employee would be in charge of SORL’s field service activities for off-site alignment, test, and calibration, as well as installation, setup, and trouble shooting at customer sites.
· Formulate, coordinate, and execute detailed Acceptance Test Procedures in conjunction with customer Quality Assurance organizations.
· BSME, Engineering or Physics
· 5 + years experience in optics field
· Solid background in optical products; broad industry knowledge
· Able to supervise and teach optical test engineers and technicians
· Self-motivated, organized, and capable of meeting project deadline
· Familiarity with the following equipment: Laser Unequal Pathlength Interferometer (LUPI), Durango Interferometry Software, ZEMAX, Fizeau Interferometers, Commercial Interferometry software packages.
· This job may require domestic and international travel up to 20%
· Experience with automated polishing equipment and software
· SolidWorks experience
· Familiarity with ISO standards and their implementation
· Familiarity with the ITAR